Friday, April 3, 2009


Little Canelo is very sick! He's bordering on pneumonia and has been admitted to the hospital. He's hooked up to IVs and will be receiving nebulizer treatments. The poor little boy will be hospitalized for 5 to 7 days.

As many of you know, Critters in Need rescued Canelo from the Carson shelter yesterday. The little fellow is pitifully thin--beyond emaciated. He had dropped a significant amount of weight while at the shelter and could not shake the kennel cough he had picked up there.

I rushed him to my vet in Garden Grove yesterday, where we did a full body x-ray, blood work, urine and a fecal. The lungs are in pretty bad shape and his white count is high.

This is the same vet who saved our little parvo puppy, Nike, and a lab critically ill with pneumonia (also from Carson) last year, so he's in good hands. The thing I'm concerned about most is Canelo's emotional state. He got into this serious health crisis because the family that he loved dumped him at the shelter. He became very depressed and ate very little.

I've let the vet staff know that this little sweetheart needs TLC in order to get well, too. And Canelo is such a doll! He gave me lots of kisses while we were at the vet yesterday--I'm sure he was so grateful to be out of the noisy, cold, scary shelter. I hated to leave him at the vet--I just wanted to keep holding him--but I knew he had to stay there in order to get well.

Here's a video I took while we were waiting for the vet:


But getting him well also means a hefty vet bill--about $1,000. Please help this sick little boy by donating for his vet care. Any amount, large or small, will be greatly appreciated.

You can send donations via Paypal by going to our website:
http://crittersrescueonline.org/

Thank you all so much!

No comments: